For most of you reading this post, you may probably wondering why we chose such a strange title for a blog post. Well, we will explain.
Our three-year old Abbey is trying to learn her letters and numbers. Like any toddler, she is often confused as to whether or not a "b" is a "d" or a "q" or a "p". If you think about it, the English language is a little confusing.
Nonetheless, Abbey has mastered at one of her letters, the letter "A" or as she calls it "down, down, straight"... you know one line down, another line down and a line straight across. She often asks, you mean "down, down, straight"?
You have to love the innocence of a young child. We LOVE you Abbey! We are grateful that she the initial of her last name is also "down, down, straight", an "h".
I am not sure how we are going to explain the letter "s". Any ideas?

5 comments:
S is like a slithery snake. Picture it!
We've just been doing down, down, cross with Hailey! :) Abbey is so great!
Actually, just working with lines is a better idea than the alphabet. Straight up and down, curves both ways and v's. Brain science tells us that those shapes and lines help build the fine motor skills needed to learn to write.
The other thing to consider is how educators teach children to read. Asking for letter identification can actually hinder literacy learning in grade school. Focus on matching the letter sounds, not names, with a visual representation of the letter. So down down straight becomes "aaaaa".
Good Luck! As a teacher, it is really fantastic to read about parents taking the time to teach!
How about "swerve, swerve, swoosh!"
I found your blog randomly on this website and I'm loving it so far! I just started my own blog if you'd care to visit.
http://asgoodatimeasany.blogspot.com/
Hiya! I simply wish to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you’ve right here on this post. I will likely be coming back to your weblog for more soon.
Post a Comment